I haven’t really been having a very good week – on the job front. But one of the highlights of my week was when a few friends came over for dinner. The day was quite hectic, and while I’d initially planned to start cooking at least 3 hours prior, I ended up doing so just one hour prior, so it was quite a rush.
However, I improvised as I went and made Curry Crumb Fried Chicken, Chicken Lasagne, and Mexican Dark Chocolate Brownie – and it was a hit, albeit a late dinner. While lasagne is something I’ve made before, and brownie (in general), crumb fried chicken was something I’ve never really made before.
I was inspired by Nigella Lawson’s ‘Delicious, Oven-Baked Un-Deep Fried Chicken’. With both the lasagne and brownie vying for the oven, I knew another baked dish would be too much. Plus, I didn’t have the time to marinade the chicken for six hours and then roll it in crumbs and then leave it for an hour; so, I went by instinct and created my very own curry crumb fried chicken.
By curry, I mean I added garam masala powder, which, in my mind, is what the Westerners call ‘curry’. My friend Richie created a simple but amazingly flavourful dip that married perfectly with the chicken.
For the marinade
For the crumb
- Marinate the chicken in the ingredients above and mix well.
- Keep aside for at least 30 minutes and this can go up to overnight.
- Season the breadcrumbs with the ingredients mentioned.
- When you are ready to fry the chicken, roll the pieces in the well seasoned crumbs and deep fry in the oil till the chicken is golden brown and tender.
- Serve with the dip.
Note: Alternatively, you can bake the chicken (which is what I’d intended earlier). After it has been marinated, roll in the bread crumbs and store in the fridge for at least an hour and then bake at 180 C for 15-20 minutes. I haven’t tried it, but Nigella says so. Let me know how it works if you do try it.
- Combine all the ingredients and mix well.
- Store in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes for the ingredients to come together.
- Serve with any finger food.